ADSM-L

Re: Problems with encrypted backup

2004-04-21 11:06:22
Subject: Re: Problems with encrypted backup
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:03:08 -0600
>> What is going wrong ??

Nothing that I can see off-hand. While you've indicated what you've done
and provided output, there is nothing obvious that stands out as a problem
(i.e. no error messages, etc.).

It would help if you can be more specific about what you find troubling.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Brian Ipsen <bin AT PROGRESSIVE DOT DK>
04/21/2004 07:04
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Problems with encrypted backup

Hi,

I've tried to solve this issue before without luck. I'm trying to make a
backup with encryption on a new node/client. The node is registered on the
server, and the first login from the node (using dsmc and a simple dsm.opt
file only specifying the nodename, passwordgenerate and the server) has
been made (where it asks for nodename and password). Then I quit dsmc
again.

My first backup dsm.opt file (with encryption)

NODENAME TSM-MYTEST1
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
TCPSERVERADDRESS 172.16.7.136
DOMAIN D:
schedlogretention 15
DateFormat 2
COMPRESSION ON
Encryptkey Save
EXCLUDE *
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\Network Trash Folder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\TheFindByContentFolder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\ThevolumeSettingsFolder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\Temporary Items\...\*"
INCLUDE.Encrypt "D:\BilledArkiv\...\*"
INCLUDE.Encrypt "D:\Bogholder\...\*"

I assume, that I have to set EncryptKey to SAVE - otherwise the scheduler
won't be able to make backups.
A backup using these options and running "dsmc i" gives this result:

Total number of objects inspected: 149,290
Total number of objects backed up: 25,189
Total number of objects updated: 0
Total number of objects rebound: 0
Total number of objects deleted: 0
Total number of objects expired: 0
Total number of objects failed: 0
Total number of bytes transferred: 8.40 MB
Data transfer time: 0.49 sec
Network data transfer rate: 17,247.31 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate: 21.27 KB/sec
Objects compressed by: 0%
Elapsed processing time: 00:06:44

If I then change dsm.opt to the options below (thereby removing
encryption):

NODENAME TSM-MYTEST1
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
TCPSERVERADDRESS 172.16.7.136
DOMAIN D:
schedlogretention 15
DateFormat 2
COMPRESSION ON
EXCLUDE *
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\Network Trash Folder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\TheFindByContentFolder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\ThevolumeSettingsFolder\...\*"
EXCLUDE.DIR "D:\BilledArkiv\Temporary Items\...\*"
INCLUDE "D:\BilledArkiv\...\*"
INCLUDE "D:\Bogholder\...\*"

And delete the old data in my TSM Server (using "del filespace") - and
then makes a new backup using "dsmc i" - the the result is:

Total number of objects inspected: 149,290
Total number of objects backed up: 144,088
Total number of objects updated: 0
Total number of objects rebound: 0
Total number of objects deleted: 0
Total number of objects expired: 0
Total number of objects failed: 0
Total number of bytes transferred: 87.28 GB
Data transfer time: 1,394.87 sec
Network data transfer rate: 65,618.49 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate: 5,848.74 KB/sec
Objects compressed by: 11%
Elapsed processing time: 04:20:49

What is going wrong ?? The TSM server is running 5.2.2.3, and the client
is 5.2.0.6 ...

Regards,

/Brian