ADSM-L

Re: Please help me NOT migrate

2004-04-20 13:12:54
Subject: Re: Please help me NOT migrate
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:12:06 -0400
Hi Ted,

Since you are in Blacksburg you know who we are.  But for the other folks,
Virginia Tech is a state univeristy (The Hokies) and we do things cheap here.
I have been offered a SUN Enterprise 250 and a SUN L1000 DLT library with
10(?) slots that will soon be surplused by the other backup system (Legato)
after they upgrade to better hardware as a test TSM Solaris server.

The users will not tolerate loss of historic data so the only option is to
export/import.  I can test exporting but the Enterprise 250 doesn't have a
3590 tape drive to import to.  I like your idea of renaming one node and
importing back to the AIX server.

This is my take:

800 new 3590E tapes will have to be purchased for the purpose of export/import.
Migration has to be done in one shot since we will have to disconnect the 3494
   after the export and connect it to the new Solaris server for the import.
During migration all backup/restore have to be stopped since new data
   to the server will be lost after the export.
Down time will be extensive.
My recommendation is to set up a new Solaris server and slowly put new clients
   on it.  Then over time we will move all clients to the new server.  But I
   know it won't fly because it will entail buying a new tape library.

Eliza Lau
Virginia Tech