ADSM-L

Re: TSM chargeback

2004-04-13 10:50:46
Subject: Re: TSM chargeback
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:50:04 -0400
At Cornell, we have a flat fee that covers license and a small amount of
storage (2.7G), and we charge extra for anything over that, based on
monthly average occupancy.  We also offer discounts to departments with
large numbers of nodes, to acknowledge that they are helping to support
these users, offloading the central IT staff.

We don't currently charge for network use.  We chose to do that to keep the
rates simple.  However, it has led to "fairness inequities".  Some of our
nodes (desktops) don't move much data, while others (database servers) tend
to churn a lot.

We also offer a discount for large quantities of static data, which we
backup using incr-by-date, with a periodic normal incremental.

We don't charge differently based on whether their data is stored on disk
or tape, since our users really don't have control over where their data
is, and frankly, we don't want them to worry about where their data is.

..Paul