ADSM-L

Re: Tsm 5.2 windows client and snap servers

2004-04-09 13:55:02
Subject: Re: Tsm 5.2 windows client and snap servers
From: Mike Bantz <mbantz AT RSINC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:54:31 -0600
Not off-topic at all.

We originally had a script that was whacking any maps, recreating them,
running the backup, etc.

None of this has worked on a consistent basis. First there are permissions
issues: we originally ran the backup job as a Domain Admin user ("backup"),
but it couldn't back up the data even though that user could easily browse
anything on the filer. So we have to run the job as the actual domain admin.
Now, everything works great for a couple of weeks until those intermittent
failures, like last night. A reboot of the TSM server (Win2k) seems to solve
this for the time being. Of course, until the next time it fails.

The biggest issue I had was in dealing with Netapp and IBM. IBM can't give
you a client for a Netapp, nor can Netapp give you any sort of tie-in for
TSM. Same for Snap (we have one of those, too). The issue with TSM using
NDMP on the Netapp is the whole include/exclude thing, which is a rather
large omission IMHO.

Mike