ADSM-L

Re: Backup completion / BACKUP_END on network FileSpaces?

2004-04-08 11:02:25
Subject: Re: Backup completion / BACKUP_END on network FileSpaces?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:01:47 -0600
When performing the backup, do not append '\*' to the end of the share
name (the messages you include in your post suggest that this is what you
are dong):

Do this: dsmc i \\machinename\sharename

Not this: dsmc i \\machinename\sharename\* -subdir=yes

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Ted Byrne <ted.byrne AT ADELPHIA DOT NET>
04/08/2004 08:55
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backup completion / BACKUP_END on network FileSpaces?

We have two customers that back up remote drives.  One client was recently
upgraded to version 5.2.2.5 (from 4.x)  and the other is running at
5.1.6.6.  Both clients are Win2K servers.

On the client that was upgraded, the backup_end field (Backup Completion
date/time) for that filespace has not changed since the client upgrade
took
place(03/08).  Prior to the upgrade, the completion date/time was updated
with each backup.

On the client that has been at 5.1.6.6, there is no backup completion
date/time showing for the network filespace.

On both clients, messages indicating that the Filespace backup has
completed are logged in dsmsched.log
        04/07/2004 02:07:28 Successful incremental backup of
'\\getback\q$\*'
        04/08/2004 07:47:50 Successful incremental backup of
'\\gwise99\gwise\*'

Is this a known bug (or WAD behavior) in the 5.x clients?  I've searched
the APAR database, Richard's ADSM QuickFacts and adsm.org, but have not
come up with a hit.  It's always possible that I may not be using the
right
search terms to get a match.

Thanks in advance,

Ted