ADSM-L

Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?

2004-04-06 09:06:48
Subject: Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?
From: Bob Booth - CITES <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:05:55 -0500
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:37:52AM -0400, asr AT UFL DOT EDU wrote:
> ==> In article <4071C3EE.8050102 AT Yale DOT Edu>, James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT
> YALE DOT EDU> writes:
>

> > Are you [other sites substantially invested in 3590's] continuing to
> > invest in 3590's -or- are you converting to other (LTO?) tape technology?
>

> 3592.  Mmmm.
>
> tsm: GLMAIL>q vol T00054
>
> Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct   Volume
>                           Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util   Status
>                                                         (MB)
> ------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----  --------
> T00054                    GLMAIL-3592  3592DEV     569,517.6   97.5    Full
>

> > Is anyone considering/already doing a substantial 3590->LTO conversion?
> > If so, we would like to talk with you.
>

> And it fits in your extant 3494.

Ah.  Careful with this statement.  It does fit, however, you need a frame
conversion, library manager upgrade, and 3592's and 3590's can't coexist in
the same frame.

We may not *convert*, but we may move our 3590's out of our L unit, upgrade
it, and move in a couple of these babies.  They do look nice, but I still hate
the thought of the dataloss, if one cart gets damaged or fails.  ooooh.

bob