ADSM-L

Re: Directory storage pools

2004-04-05 17:38:45
Subject: Re: Directory storage pools
From: Laurent Bendavid <bendavid.laurent AT FREE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:23:30 +0200
For me, when you backup file tree, all files are backed using your
Management Definition in your include/exclude list,
but directories use DIRMC as Management Class automatically. If you
don't have a DIRMC option,
TSM select the "best" Management Class to backup directories, i.e.
Management Class with the longest retention and the greatest version
number in your Policy Set.

This way is important, if you want to restore a file with its sub
directories in every condition.

Dan Foster wrote:

As per the TSM redbook at:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245416.pdf

It suggests use of DISKDIRS and OFFDIRS to store directory information
to avoid restore-time directory reconstruction hits.

Everything makes sense, including the need to explicitly bind all
directories on a client to the DISKDIRS management class with DIRMC.

The next question is... *how* do you select ONLY directories for this
management class without selecting any files within them, in dsm.opt?

(Server is 5.1.8.0 on AIX and clients are 5.1.5.14/15 on Windows, Linux,
Solaris, and AIX.)

I had also checked the TSM 5.1.5 UNIX client reference from:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/TSMC/GC32-0789-02/en_US/PDF/GC32-0789-02.pdf

...and read through everything referencing include, exclude, dirmc, but
it's still not obvious to me how to select only directory data for use
with DIRMC DISKDIRS. I see there's a dirsonly keyword, but how to use it
within context of dsm.opt?

       include / -dirsonly -dirmc diskdirs

?

-Dan