ADSM-L

Re: Multithreaded session writes on tape although primary pool is on disk ...

2004-04-05 11:46:50
Subject: Re: Multithreaded session writes on tape although primary pool is on disk ...
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:37:36 -0500
Also, remember, (if you are running client compression) that the
preallocation performed against the disk will be 100% of how big the file
is on your host system.
ALSO if you are using TDP/R3 and it is greater than tdpr3 v3.2.0.11 it will
clear cache and preallocate at a rate of 110% unless you alter the
environment variable that adjusts that overage percentage.
So, if you are running 10 concurrent multiplexed sessions each pushing two
(2) 4 GB files, that is 4*2*10*1.10 = 88 GB of diskpool space required,
even though the files might really only occupy 25 GB of storage pool space
due to client compression.

I have that problem of folks cranking up their number of concurrent
processes and rolling directly to tape... (sigh!)

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

                      PAC Brion Arnaud
                      <Arnaud.Brion@PAN        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ALPINA.COM>              cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Multithreaded
session writes on tape although primary pool is on disk ...
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/05/2004 08:26
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Richard, Matt,

Thanks for your input : looks like I'll have to expand my disk pool, or
diminish it's high mig percent to avoid this kind of situation ...
Regards.

Arnaud

Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland, CIT Department
Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone:  +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com