ADSM-L

Antwort: mixing LTO1 and LTO2 tapes in a 3584 with only LTO2 drives!

2004-04-02 08:30:43
Subject: Antwort: mixing LTO1 and LTO2 tapes in a 3584 with only LTO2 drives!
From: Markus Veit <markus.veit AT SCALEON DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:30:10 +0200
Hi,
yes you can have both lto1 and lto2 tapes in a lib with lto2 drives,
the chip inside the tape identivies what kind of tape it is, so no need to go
through a diskpool.

Best Regards

Markus Veit

                                                An: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                Kopie:
                                                Thema:   Antwort: mixing LTO1
and LTO2 tapes in a 3584 with only LTO2 drives!

              owner-adsm-l AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
              12:32
              Bitte antworten an "ADSM:
              Dist Stor Manager"

Hi

We have tested LTO1 tapes in a HP MSL5030 with two LTO2 Drives.
But we have always copied the data stored on the tapes to a disk pool.
Then we relabeld the LTO1 tapes in the LTO2 drives and wrote the data back
onto the tapes.
We have never tested to read the data of LTO1 tapes written by LTO1 drives
with LTO2 drives.
I don't know if it is possible for you to do so.

Best regards

Patrick Rainer

Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Gesendet von: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

01.04.2004 20:11
Bitte antworten zu

An
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Kopie

Thema
mixing LTO1 and LTO2 tapes in a 3584 with only LTO2 drives!

I have a client with a 3584 library filled with LTO1 tapes and 4-LTO1 HVD
drives. They want to swap all drives out for fibre attached LTO2 drives.
Reading on www.lto.org, I see that LTO2 is supposed to be able to read AND
write to LTO1 media in LTO1 format. If this is really the case, then the
installation of the new drives and conversion to a totally LTO2 tape could
be minimal. Anyone mixing tapes in an all LTO2 library?

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb that nature gives us after we go bald." - ??