ADSM-L

Re: ?Linux TSM service to backup >100 clients to disk->tape?

2004-04-01 09:32:07
Subject: Re: ?Linux TSM service to backup >100 clients to disk->tape?
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:21:25 +0100
James,

The biggest consideration which I know of, and have seen on here many many
times, is the throughput capability of a Linux server. Your main thought
here is not so much how many PCI slots are available but how many pci buses
are available, as this is where your internal I/O limitations fall into
place.

For example your Gb Ethernet interface, as this will be one of the highest
I/O loaded adapters, should be on a difference PCI bus to the disks, and the
disks should in an ideal world be separate to the tape drive interfaces, and
then your tape drives should be split across buses... You also need to
consider how many adapters you are running for your tape drives in that if
you have two tape drives with a theoretical max transfer rate of
40MB/second, you wouldn't want to run two drives off an interface that is
also only capable of 40MB/second as you could restrict the max perf of your
drives.

This is where your true midrange class machine falls into place as, taking
AIX & RS/6000 for example, the PCI slots are available in drawers, so you
could start with a couple of drawers, and add more should your environment
require it. I am not very familiar with Wintel systems, but I am fairly
certain (although willing to be proven wrong) that there are either very
view, or possibly no Wintel boxes with this kind of expandability.

Hope this provides so food for thought!

Many thanks

Andy Wilcox
UNIX Systems Administrator