ADSM-L

A Grumble, and a hint.

2004-03-31 17:40:04
Subject: A Grumble, and a hint.
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:39:33 -0500
Good day all.

I'm doing some DR exercises, and I just made a somewhat irritating
observation.

After you have DSMSERV FORMAT [...]

If you DSMSERV RESTORE DB

then the process gives you a dumb look.  You have to do

DSMSERV RESTORE DB [ date and time parameters ]

which _appear_ to require that you specify the point in time of the last DB
backup.

However, if you get it wrong (too recent or such) then the restore goes
perfectly nicely, and picks up the most recent backup available.

In fact, if you specify TOD=01/01/2200 TOT=00:00:00

That is, midnight, Jan 1 of 2200,

or even

TOD=TODAY TOT=NOW

it works JUST fine.

Now why couldn't those otherwise bright folks have made 'tod=today, tot=now'
the default values of those options, and just accept 'RESTORE DB' as meaning
"get me the best you can".

Dumb bunnies.

- Allen S. Rout
- Grumpy afternoon.