ADSM-L

Re: TSM, Solaris and Fibre connected drives ?

2004-03-31 13:00:16
Subject: Re: TSM, Solaris and Fibre connected drives ?
From: Luke Dahl <ldahl AT JPL.NASA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:59:43 -0800
We are going through two IBM2109 switches, with each drive attached to both
switches for failover purposes.  You still need to add the drives to the
appropriate zones using the wwn's.  I'm not really aware of any good
documentation that covers this, but if you find something please pass it over.
Once you've configured the zones, you should be able to issue: cfgadm -al and
you'll see output similar to this:
c2::5005076300406311           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300406657           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300406687           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300406ae8           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::50050763004072a8           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300806311           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300806657           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300806687           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::5005076300806ae8           tape         connected    configured   failing
c2::50050763008072a8           tape         connected    configured   failing

This is non-operational so the tape devices are in a "failing" condition
currently.  After the c2:: entry you can see the wwn's for each tape drive.
Tying those back to the st entries is a little more difficult.  One way to
determine which is which (at least in 5.2.2.1) is to define the drives using
the "st" entry and define a path to the drive.  Once you've done that, the wwn
for the drive will be displayed in q dr f=d:
                                Library Name: 3494
                                  Drive Name: 10H1A
                                 Device Type: 3590
                                     On-Line: Yes
                                Read Formats: 3590H-C,3590H-B,3590E-C,3590E-B,3

                                               3590C,3590B
                               Write Formats: 3590H-C,3590H-B
                                     Element:
                                 Drive State: EMPTY
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN: 5005076300006311
                               Serial Number: 0000000A1357
              Last Update by (administrator): LDAHL
                       Last Update Date/Time: 03/12/04 10:52:59
and if you issue q path f=d:
                   Source Name: TSM05
                   Source Type: SERVER
              Destination Name: 10H1A
              Destination Type: DRIVE
                       Library: 3494
                     Node Name:
                        Device: /dev/rmt/10st
              External Manager:
                           LUN:
                     Initiator: 0
                     Directory:
                       On-Line: Yes
Last Update by (administrator): LDAHL

You can then correlate that /dev/rmt/10st corresponds to the drive with WWN:
5005076300006311.  It's not the most straightforward but it works.  I believe
one of my system administrators may have developed a workaround and I'll check
with him when he gets back (he's in a training class).  Hope this helps.  One
last note, it appears that every time the system is rebooted it creates new
/dev/rmt entries.  This is extremely bothersome being it keeps adding the
entries with a higher numerical number.  Not sure if we're doing something
wrong on that issue yet.  Still working out the bugs...

Luke
818-354-7117