ADSM-L

Re: 9840 vs 9940 Performance

2004-03-26 11:09:15
Subject: Re: 9840 vs 9940 Performance
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:08:35 -0500
You are right about the 9840's; they are just screaming fast;  I like them
even better than 3590's for TSM for that reason.  Also incredibly robust.
We had some 9840's that we ran days on end, 20 hours a day, doing enormous
amounts of reclaims (read LOTS of start/stop activity), with no drive or I/O
errors.

We had to give them up because, as you said, the cartridges are only 20 GB
native, and we outgrew our (non-expandable) 9710 robot before the 9840C
became available.

I've never used the 9940's, but if you dig around the web site, STK clearly
says that the 9840's are performance and the 9940's are for capacity.

I asked our CE at the time, and he said there is no real difference in the
9940 drive mechanics, it should be as reliable as the 9840.

BUT, the big difference is that the 9840 is a 2-reel cartridge that loads
from the middle; and that is one big reason it is so spritely.  The 9940 is
a single-reel cartridge, loads from the end.  So I don't believe it is
physically possible to maintain the same performance on small file restores.

That being said, the only cartridges I am aware of that have the middle load
point are the 9840 and the old Magster 3570 (no longer marketed).  The LTO
standard called for a fast, 2 reel LTO Accelis cartridge to be built for
speed as well as the Utrium cartridge that was built for capacity;  but the
last time I checked the LTO web site it said that the LTO Ultrium as worked
so well that no vendor is ever going to build an Accelis drive.

And I don't know that the 9940 wouldn't still give you adequate performance,
just offering some points for you to consider.

I would call and ask your local STK office to provide you with some stats
for the 9940 vs. the 9840C, I'm sure they'll be HAPPY to comply.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)