ADSM-L

Re: Retaining Deleted files

2004-03-26 10:15:26
Subject: Re: Retaining Deleted files
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:14:39 -0700
I do not quite understand your specification. The user wishes to keep up
to 6 months worth of transaction files on disk. But this does not
necessarily map to a restore requirement. For example, the user might wish
to keep 6 months worth of transaction files on disk, but may also wish to
be able to *restore* transaction files up to 12 months ago. So a better
understanding of the restore requirements is necessary.

Without understanding the nature of the transaction files (when they are
created, how often they are changed, etc.) It is difficult to assess the
usefulness of your given copy group definition. What I can tell you is
this: If the file is created once and never touched again, then TSM will
keep one backup copy forever (due to NOLIMIT settings). If the file
changes once, TSM will make a second backup copy, and keep both backup
versions forever. If the file changes daily, then TSM will keep a maximum
of two backup versions of each file. The oldest backup version will expire
when the backup version is made. If the file stops changing (or is
deleted) so TSM makes no new backup copies, then the existing versions
will be kept forever.

If the user requires a restore capability of up to 6 months ago, then the
following criteria is suggested:

   VEREXISTS=NOLIMIT
   VERDELETED=NOLIMIT
   RETEXTRA=190
   RETONLY=190

If the user needs to keep everything forever (a requirement whose needs
should be thoroughly investigated and confirmed) then you can specify:

   VEREXISTS=NOLIMIT
   VERDELETED=NOLIMIT
   RETEXTRA=NOLIMIT
   RETONLY=NOLIMIT

These are just some examples. As I mentioned above, without a more
comprehensive description of the restore needs and the file usage pattern,
it is difficult to develop the TSM management criteria.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Yiannakis Vakis <yiannakis.vakis AT ITD.BANKOFCYPRUS DOT COM>
03/26/2004 02:15
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Retaining Deleted files

Hi,
I have the following situation and I need a confirmation here. System
information is : TSM 5.2. on Windows 2000, TSM BA client  5.2. on Windows
2000.

I'm backing up a folder with the "incremental" option, that contains a
complex subfolder tree. The contents of the subfolders are mainly
transaction files from various applications. The user wants to keep the
transaction files for 6 months on disk and then deletes the older ones
(the
6th month) to make space for the new month. This is a user task and here I
don't have any involvement.
The user doesn't want to lose the deleted transaction files, because he
might want to restore something for investigation reasons.

I have set up a special policy for this. The backup copygroup definition
is
as follows:

Policy Domain Name              TSM_DOMAIN
Policy Set Name                 ACTIVE
Mgmt Class Name                 TSM_MGMT_CLASS
Copy Group Name                 STANDARD
Versions Data Exists            2
Versions Data Deleted           2
Retain Extra Versions           NOLIMIT
Retain Only Version             NOLIMIT
Copy Mode                       MODIFIED
Copy Serialization              SHRSTATIC
Copy Frequency          0
Copy Destination                3590STGPOOL
Table of Contents (TOC) Destination -
Last Update Date/Time           2004-03-12 12:37:03.000000
Last Update by (administrator)  YIANNAKIS
Managing profile                -

I have specified NOLIMIT on retain extra versions and retain only version
so
that I don't lose the deleted files. Is that correct ?
Thanks
Yiannakis