ADSM-L

Re: Expiration after TSM upgrade from 5.1.6.4 to 5.2.2.1

2004-03-26 08:47:58
Subject: Re: Expiration after TSM upgrade from 5.1.6.4 to 5.2.2.1
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT CGI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:44:33 -0500
Sent this too fast... Must have hit the a wrong key... Not enough coffee yet

I have 4 rather large tsm servers, db over 30 gb. 2 are AIX, 2 are sun. The
performance on the 2 aix boxes is similar. One server is very old, installed
in 97, db is 60 db, and goes through 12 million objects, deleting between
300,000 and 1 million objects. 3000 objects/sec examined, but between 70 and
100 deleted. Expiration lasts between 60 and 90 minutes. The other aix
server is brand new. Db is 40 gb, moslty du to 2 imap servers whose backups
are kept 180 days (OUCH!!). Expiration goes through 150,000 objects,
deleting 100,000. 200 objects examined/sec, 150 deleted. The old server is a
f80, the new one a p615, soon to be a p630.

As for the SUN servers, performance is nowhere near as good. I can't get
more than 40 objects/second, examined or deleted. I moved the database on
raw volumes, didn't help much. I can't seem to get these servers to perform
well. The 2 instances are on a 480 with 2 cpu's. Disks are the same as the
AIX servers (HDS 9960). Is anyone getting good expiration performance on SUN
servers. If so, how are you setup?

Guillaume Gilbert
Backup Administrator
CGI - ITM