ADSM-L

Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries

2004-03-23 20:35:51
Subject: Re: Sizing an AIX platform and tape libraries
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:34:44 -0500
Well, looks like what I have right now would work for you!

I have pSeries p660 (6H1) with 2x 600MHx procs and 2GB RAM with
AIX 4.3.3 and TSM server 4.2.  Use GbE NIC's.  Have  IBM 3584-L32
library with 8 LTO1 drives FC attached.  Also use FAStT 200HA disk
for TSM DB and Storage pool.  (have 4 total drawers with 10 73 GB disk
per drawer.

I have about 250 clients, AIX, Solaris, W2K, Netware, Oracle, MSSQL and
a few odds and ends.  I backup about 800GB in an 18 hour window
and make offsite copies of tapes.  Have about 14TB onsite in the one frame
of 3584 library.  I could get to about 25 TB+ in this frame before needing
2nd frame, with just LTO1 tapes.

As we are growing, this system is farely well taxed, would leave you room
to grow.  We are going to upgrade the 6H1 to 4x 750 Mhz procs and add
2 more GB RAM in next few weeks.  Also add 4 LTO2 drives to library.
Going to AIX 5.2 and TSM 5.2.

How's that?

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Brizuela AT UWYO DOT EDU 03/23/04 07:19PM >>>
Hello All,

We will be phasing out our OS/390 mainframe in the next few years.
Currently, we have our TSM server installed on the mainframe, so we will
need to move it off and on to something else.  Based on conversations to
this list and the Redbook, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Implementation
Guide, I believe that we definitely need to move to AIX.  The above
Redbook is not very helpful as far as sizing the AIX machine, saying
that it is an "inexact" art.  Here are our current and future
requirements:

1)  Right now we are backing up about 150 GB/ night, but we need to add
Exchange and a new student information system (Banner) to this.  We are
estimating that we will soon grow to at least 500 -600 GB/night.

2)  Workload consists of 95 clients, consisting of from small 20-30gb
Unix and Windows systems, to DB (Oracle) and file servers with half to
one terabyte of storage.  This will grow to 120 or so clients soon.

3)  We are currently storing 10.7 TB total data in two libraries, one
local tape library and a second copy of everything at a remote tape
library (3494 ATLs w/3590 E drives).  Looks like this storage could
triple, given how much we will be backing up each night (15 TB in each
location).

4)  Network is Gigabit Ethernet.

5)  We would like to use one large server vs. multiple servers.

Does anyone have a similar scenario that is on AIX that works well?
Please describe, including tape libraries!  Does anyone know of any
additional guidance available on choosing an AIX platform size and
choosing an appropriate tape library?

Thanks!

Nancy Brizuela
University of Wyoming
IBM Systems Group
Ivinson Room 238
(307)766-2958

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.