ADSM-L

Re: mksysb tapes on fibre-attached 3590

2004-03-23 01:24:25
Subject: Re: mksysb tapes on fibre-attached 3590
From: Josh-Daniel Davis <xaminmo AT OMNITECH DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:33:50 -0600
I don't know if you can boot fibre tape.  If not, this would most likely
be a firmware limitation.  If any system would allow it, the p650 would.

The boot media, whether it be mksysb-CD, NIM or SCSI tape, will need to
have Atape and the fibre drivers in it.  Make sure you're at current
firmware for the 7038-6M2.

The atldd driver won't work since I don't think it'll start atldd nor
include mtlib in the boot image, etc.

You could manually mount the tapes in the drive via:

A) one drive set up as an autoloader with a specific category of tapes.

B) offline the drive to tsm and use mtlib commands from another system
to mount the tape.  That drive would have to be shared with the other
system in order to issue the eject IOCTL to the drive afterwards.  The
main concern here is to make sure you don't grab the wrong tape.

C) Offline the whole library and move tapes from the front panel.

D) I think TSM has some rudimentary tracking of non-tsm system backup
volumes, but I don't know what state that is in or what the commands are
off-hand.  Look into that to see if it can help.

-Josh