ADSM-L

Re: Recovery of deleted filespaces

2004-03-17 15:52:51
Subject: Re: Recovery of deleted filespaces
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:50:02 -0600

If you have plenty of scratch volumes available you will be better off....
if you have a spare server, you can do it with minimal impact to the
existing environment
in the past, I took an old data base backup tape and restored it on another
machine to restore an image of the environment as it existed when the data
existed that I needed...
I set this ~restored~ environment to where NOTHING would occur, no
attempted migrations (not a problem since the disk didn't exist) no
reclamation, no NOTHING !
Now, I did a showvolumeus <blahnode> to see what all tapes this node had
data on....
In this restored environment I attached a single tape drive out of the atl
and altered the atl definition in the environment to a new one using a new
scratch and private categories...
I now checked the tapes with the node's data out of the active/real
environment and checked them into the ~restored~ environment, pointed the
client to the ~restored~ environment and did the restore...

How does all this work... ?

You will notice that TSM is real nice about doing ~round robin~
activities... that is, a freshly deleted tape volume will tend to not be
used until all the existing scratch tapes are used.   So if you have an
ample supply of scratch tapes and the data you need is on tapes that rolled
scratch, there is a high probability that the data is still actually on the
media, if you can only get a data base restored to access it...

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

                      Chet Osborn
                      <osborn AT RPI DOT EDU>         To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Recovery of deleted
filespaces
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      03/17/2004 02:27
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi,

In attempting to help a user clean up his backups, mistakenly assumed that
he had copies of the subset of folders that he wanted to back up on his
disk drive. I deleted the TSM filespace, only to discover that my
assumption was incorrect.

If I can figure out which tapes the backups are on, is there any way of
restoring them?

Chet Osborn
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

GIF image