ADSM-L

Strange inventory expiration problem

2004-03-12 14:44:00
Subject: Strange inventory expiration problem
From: Scott McCambly <mccambly AT ALLSTREAM DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:27:57 -0500
Here's a good one for a Friday afternoon....

We've had a requirement to temporarily suspend expiration of objects on
selected client nodes.

We copied the active policy set for the domain containing these nodes
and set all backup and archive copy group parameters to NOLIMIT, and
activated this new policy set.  I have verified that I see these new
values from the client side (q mgmt -detail).

The strange part is that now when we run expiration processing in
verbose mode, as the processing hits the filespaces for these nodes, it
is still reporting statistics of  many hundreds of backup objects being
deleted.  How is this possible?!?  We of course only let expiration
processing run for a minute before canceling it again.  A few sample
"query backup -inactive" on one of the nodes that was listed in the log
messages of expiration processing seem to show all the versions there as
expected.

I then tried to turn on tracing to see what files were being deleted,
but the trace messages generated by IMEXP and IMDEL only show the object
ID, and I assume once deleted that you couldn't retrieve the file name
from the database anyway.

Can anyone please explain this behavior, or possibly point me to more
trace flags that might help show what files are being deleted?

Thanks

Scott.