ADSM-L

Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes

2004-03-10 12:26:22
Subject: Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:25:22 -0500
And none of what you writes makes the TSM software audit of licenses
meaningful.  You have to know OUTSIDE of what TSM can tell who which
nodes are desktops and which are servers and how many processors are in
the server machines.  Then tell TSM uopir are licensed for enough nodes
to make it shut up because there is no longer a meaninful mapping
between what the software considers a license and what IBM marketing
considers a license.

david

>>> bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM 3/10/2004 10:23:01 AM >>>
David,

IBM still does charge by node if you say the node is not a server.

It is up to us, the customers, to characterize the machines to be
backed up
and then buy the proper number and kind of licenses.

If you say a machine is a single user desktop, even if it has 2
processors and
has more raw power than some of your servers, you need just 1 desktop
license which
is about a fifth of the price of a server license.

The TSM pricing model is now function based.  The license to backup a
server is more
expensive because the value to you is greater than the value of an end
user desktop backup.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell

At 08:04 AM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
>Nancy,
>
>As far as I can tell it no longer matters what the TSM software
thinks
>you have as far as number of nodes; just tell it you have enough to
make
>it shut up.
>
>The reason it no longer matters is that IBM no longer charges you by
>node but by processor and the TSM software auditing component does
not
>know about processors.  TSM software auditing is a relict of a
simpler
>day.
>
>David

>We are in the process of ordering a TSM upgrade (from 4.1 to 5.1 or
>5.2)
>and are having pricing issues. I ran a license audit to see what we
>are
>using now and it showed 108 "Managed System for LAN" licenses in use
>(of
>200), but we only have 78 nodes registered. I do not understand the
>discrepancy. Can anyone explain it to me?
>

>Nancy Reeves
>Technical Support, Wichita State University
>Nancy.Reeves AT wichita DOT edu          316-978-3860

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.