ADSM-L

Re: Can I safely stop an AUDITDB FIX=YES once started???? URGENT PLEA SE

2004-03-09 11:17:11
Subject: Re: Can I safely stop an AUDITDB FIX=YES once started???? URGENT PLEA SE
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:06:38 -0000
I suppose this could depend on whether or not it has actually found any
inconsistencies. Presumably  you are running an audit DB because you do have
problems anyway, so stopping it wouldn't be in your best interest.

Anyway I am fortunate enough to have a test environment with a very small
DB. I have tried running an auditdb fix=yes and ctrl-C it and it ignores it.
Doing a straight kill is also ignored. The only way of stopping it was to do
a kill -9.... I started TSM up afterwards and it did start with no
errors.... BUT (and this is a very big but!!!!) the database had no problems
before I ran the auditdb. (fyi - AIX 4.3.3 and TSM 5.1.7.2)

I am guessing that your audit is taking far longer than anticipated and that
you need to get TSM up and running again asap. If the auditdb was a
suggestion from IBM support then your safest and probably only plan of
action is to liase with them and inform them of your predicament and any
findings (inconsistences) of the auditdb so far and see how they suggest to
proceed, failure to do so could leave you in hope that your database
recovery technique is well tested and proven!

However you proceed, all the best.

Many thanks

Andy Wilcox
UNIX Systems Administrator