ADSM-L

Re: Can't define IBM3583-L72 LTO library to TSM

2004-03-05 09:29:51
Subject: Re: Can't define IBM3583-L72 LTO library to TSM
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:29:45 -0500
Yep. Already checked all of these.

Yes, the library is online. Checked with both the web/RMU and physically.
Even power-recycled the box.

Yes, I am doing a define of the PATH to the LIBRARY, not the drives.

TAPEUTIL can't talk to the library, either.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 03/05/2004
05:13:39 AM:

> Hi Zoltan,
>
> When you say you are trying to define a path to /dev/smc0 you are trying
> define
> a path to the library - not the drives - so even if the drives are
> responding fine with
> the tapeutil command you can still have problems with the library - the
> drives can function
> without the library when using the tapeutil.
>
> Check if the library is not maybe in offline/paused mode - the lsdev
command
> will just show that it is happy and it can see the library - but when
TSM
> wants to talk to the library it checks additional things before defining
the
> path. Are you actualy defining the path to /dev/smc0 as a library path
or a
> drive path? What parameter are you using for the desttype - tape or
library?

> If you are specifying library then it sounds like your library is in
paused
> mode - check via the web interface into the 3583 what the problem is.
>
> Cheers
> Christo
>
> > I have spent hours and hours trying to get TSM server 5.2.2.0 on AIX
5.1
> > to define the PATH to the above tape library.
> >
> > Every time I click on defining the PATH (/dev/smc0) to this library,
TSM
> > goes off and spins for a while, eventually coming back with some kind
of
> > error about being unable to communicate with the device.
> >
> > I have repeately removed and rediscovered the library and drives
> > (restarted the TSM server numerous times).
> >
> > Played with tapeutil. It can successfully open the tape drives
themselves,
> > no problem.
> >
> > LSDEV says everything is happy:  smc0 Available 1D-08-01 IBM 3583
Library