ADSM-L

Re: COPYPOOL Basic Question

2004-03-04 08:19:31
Subject: Re: COPYPOOL Basic Question
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:19:34 -0500
One simple reason for creating a copypool is that media goes bad.

>>> Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM 3/4/2004 12:12:03 AM >>>
The way we use it is to send the COPYPOOL off site, along with a copy
of the database, every business day.  We use it for restoring in a
disaster
recovery situation.

Some people have an on-site copypool in case a tape or other volume
that is
on-site goes bad.
It can be easily (if stuffing tapes is easy) rebuilt without calling
tapes
in from off site.
I wish I had room in my library or enough tape volumes to do this.

If you use DRM or some third party tools, or come up with your own
procedures,
yes, you actually reclaim copypool volumes similar to the way you
recover
your
onsite library tapes (it appears you call it your LIBPOOL, ours is
TAPEDATA,
same thing).
If you use DRM, read the DRM section of the admin manual.  It explains
the
daily routine you
go through and how to set it up to get recovery to work smoothly and
keep
all your copypool
tapes offsite.

Scratches can be used to generate either copypool or library (libpool)
volumes.  And scratchs
from both go back in to the general scratch pool by default.  Actually
don't know if you
can keep them from it.

Hope this helps ... JC