ADSM-L

AW: Great difference in Tape usage between Netware and Windows!?

2004-03-03 10:13:31
Subject: AW: Great difference in Tape usage between Netware and Windows!?
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:17:28 +0100
Hallo,

turn for a while TSM compression on (in contrast to HW-tape
compression you are probably using now).
This will not change things, but it gives you statistics
how your data are beeing compressed during backup.
Your HW compression does simillar thing with simillar results.

Probably you have files on netware which can be compressed
very well, maybe modestly used database files.

If your boss does not believe TSM´s statistics
take WinZip or something like that and compress 1 GB of typicall
data both on Netware and on Windows and compare the resulting file size.

Turn the argumentation to the fact your users on Netware server
use tons of redundant data, most likely consisting to
two thirds of spaces only :-)

:-)) juraj