ADSM-L

Re: Different client option sets on different days?

2004-03-02 18:58:31
Subject: Re: Different client option sets on different days?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:58:01 -0700
No, I don't think different client options sets will solve this for you.
I'm not sure exactly how you were going to implement this with
include/exclude statements, but if it was to exclude everything but the
handful of directories during the daily backups and include everything on
weekend, then this is definitely not recommended. Remember, the files you
exclude are not simply skipped, but also expired if backup versions
currently exist. That would not do.

If I understand requirement #2 correctly, you wish to do full incrementals
on your office servers on weekends, but only back up a handful of
directories on weekdays. If so, then an easy solution is to define your
daily backup schedule such that the OBJECTS value specifies the
directories you want to back up, and the OPTIONS value includes
-SUBDIR=YES. For example:

   define schedule standard daily -
      objects="d:\home\* d:\group\* d:\apps\an-application\*" -
      options="-subdir=yes"

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
03/02/2004 16:25
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Different client option sets on different days?

TSM 4.3.2.1 on winders 2k, varioius clients

I have a challenge from my boss and I needs some help.

I need to backup things differently than I do now.  I have been backing up
basically everything on
a server every day (using incrementals on TSM of course).

Now, we are making two classes of servers.
1. Application servers, do backups like we have been, but only on
weekends.
        -- this one is easy.  Just a different schedule.

2. Office servers, do backups like we have on weekends (so far so good).
    (I set up a different Policy set for Office servers versus Application
servers)
    but DAILY, backup a couple of big directories and a few (but standard
directories).
        daily backup d:\home\* and d:\group\* and d:\apps\an-application\*

I can set up the exclude/includes OK in different client option sets.  But
how do I schedule
to run with different client option sets on Windows through the TSM
scheduler?

Or if I need to re-think it, please point me in the right direction.

TIA .. JC