ADSM-L

Re: File size limitation question

2004-03-02 14:16:01
Subject: Re: File size limitation question
From: "French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:14:55 -0600
        I originally did not have "ENABLE3590LIBRARY" set in the
dsmserv.opt yesterday afternoon so I halted the server and added it,
then restared.  I was careful when creating the library definition, I
did this:

DEFINE LIBRARY ids02atl1 libtype=349x scratchcategory=501
privatecategory=500
DEFINE DRIVE ids02atl1 0st
DEFINE DRIVE ids02atl1 1st
DEFINE PATH tsm3.uswash6 ids02atl1 srctype=server desttype=library
device=ids02atl1
DEFINE PATH tsm3.uswash6 0st srctype=server desttype=drive
library=ids02atl1 device=/dev/rmt/0st
DEFINE PATH tsm3.uswash6 1st srctype=server desttype=drive
library=ids02atl1 device=/dev/rmt/1st

After starting the server with enable3590library, the scratchcategory
still shows 501 though my other two servers have 302 and 402 for the
scratch respectively.  Looking at the manual, it looks like 3590 type
scratch should be the current scratch + 1.

New server:

tsm: TSM3.USWASH6>q library f=d

                  Library Name: IDS02ATL1
                  Library Type: 349X
                        ACS Id:
              Private Category: 500
              Scratch Category: 501
              External Manager:
                        Shared: No
                       LanFree:
            ObeyMountRetention:
       Primary Library Manager:
                           WWN:
                 Serial Number:
                     AutoLabel:
Last Update by (administrator): MPFRENCH
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/27/04   01:34:55

Old server:

tsm: TSM2.USWASH6>q library f=d

                  Library Name: IDS02ATL1
                  Library Type: 349X
                        ACS Id:
              Private Category: 400
              Scratch Category: 402
              External Manager:
                        Shared: No
                       LanFree:
            ObeyMountRetention:
       Primary Library Manager:
                           WWN:
                 Serial Number:
                     AutoLabel:
Last Update by (administrator): DDCANAN
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/23/00   15:13:23

It still seems to be doing the same thing as before.  I see the tapes
remaining in the primepool this time though, but with 0% utilized after
writing the full tape:

tsm: TSM3.USWASH6>q vol

Volume Name                 Storage        Device        Estimated
Pct     Volume
                            Pool Name      Class Name     Capacity
Util     Status
                                                              (MB)
------------------------    -----------    ----------    ---------
-----    --------
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
90.3    On-Line
 ata1
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
0.3    On-Line
 ata2
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
1.1    On-Line
 ata3
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
0.8    On-Line
 ata4
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
100.0    On-Line
 ata5
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/tsmd-    BACKUPPOOL     DISK           69,998.9
100.0    On-Line
 ata6
2B0203                      I23590PRIME    3590                0.0
0.0     Empty
2C0328                      I23590PRIME    3590                0.0
0.0     Empty
2C0448                      I23590PRIME    3590                0.0
0.0     Empty

I checked the tapes in after restarting the server with the 3590 option
using:

checkin libv ids02atl1 2b0203 devt=3590 status=scratch

Should I have used the label command instead?  Migration is still
running on a new tapes, but the backuppool has not decreased at all:

tsm: TSM3.USWASH6>q pro

 Process     Process Description      Status
  Number