ADSM-L

Migrating to new tape drives.

2004-02-26 09:32:55
Subject: Migrating to new tape drives.
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:30:13 -0600
Good day everyone,
 I am preparing to upgrade our L700 jukebox to SDLT320 from DLT7000.

All 360 tapes will have to be removed from the L700 jukebox. Then the L700
jukebox will be upgraded and new media added. I have connected an ATL7100
jukebox to the TSM server and have made it available to TSM. This is how I
plan on doing the migration.

Plan was to checkout all media from the L700 and checkin to the ATL7100 the
perform a move data to the diskpools and let the data migrate to the new
tapes.

I have started testing and come across the following:

1) Incompatible barcodes, I'll be ordering barcodes that can be read by the
ATL7100.

2) I performed a checkout libvol from the L700 and a checkin libvol on the
ATL7100, works but the TSM server asks for the volume to be mounted in the
L700 whenever I try to perform a move data command. I am figuring it is
storagepool association.

How can I move all the tapes out of the L700 and associate them to the
ATL7100 ?

PS. Even under the best conditions DLT7000 written tapes are only about 30%
- 40% compatible with SDLT320 drives. This was told to me by a Storagetek
engineer.