ADSM-L

Returning a Reclaimed Offsite Copypool Volume to the Library Scratch Pool?

2004-02-25 15:09:05
Subject: Returning a Reclaimed Offsite Copypool Volume to the Library Scratch Pool?
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:38:45 -0800
I am running TSM 5.1.8.3 on W2K. I have several tape volumes that I have
reclaimed from Offsite Copypool storage.  When I attempt to do a CHECKIN
to return them to the Scratchpool TSM does not allow it:

tsm: DATAPLUS_SERVER1>q vol tsm023

Volume Name                  Storage         Device
Estimated       Pct      Volume
                            Pool Name       Class Name
Capacity      Util      Status
                                                                (MB)
------------------------     -----------     ----------
---------     -----     --------
TSM023                       COPYPOOL        LTO2
0.0       0.0      Empty

tsm: DATAPLUS_SERVER1>q vol tsm023 f=d

                  Volume Name: TSM023
            Storage Pool Name: COPYPOOL
            Device Class Name: LTO2
      Estimated Capacity (MB): 0.0
                     Pct Util: 0.0
                Volume Status: Empty
                       Access: Offsite
       Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
              Scratch Volume?: Yes
              In Error State?: No
     Number of Writable Sides: 1
      Number of Times Mounted: 14
            Write Pass Number: 1
    Approx. Date Last Written: 10/09/2003 06:47:24
       Approx. Date Last Read: 09/27/2003 06:35:55
          Date Became Pending:
       Number of Write Errors: 0
        Number of Read Errors: 0
              Volume Location:
Last Update by (administrator): DWIGHT
        Last Update Date/Time: 12/16/2003 12:11:14

tsm: DATAPLUS_SERVER1>checkin libv lb1.1.0.5 tsm023 status=scratch
ANR8443E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Volume TSM023 in library LB1.1.0.5 cannot be
assigned a status of SCRATCH.
ANS8001I Return code 12.

The explanation of ANR84423E says that it is not allowed because there
might be data on the tape, but TSM clearly knows that there is no data
on the tape.  In the Admin Guide it says that volumes defined in a
Storage Pool cannot be checked as Scratch. Is the correct way to get
this volume back into the Scratch Pool to delete it from the storage
pool and then do the Checkin? This tape was originally moved to the
COPYPOOL from SCRATCH. Neither the message nor the message explanation
gives the explicit reason that this volume cannot be made scratch.

OTOH, can I do a Checkin with Status=Private, Update the volume to
readwrite and simply have TSM use it before requesting a new tape from
the Scratch Pool?

--
Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing