ADSM-L

Re: Bad tape w/ data on it...can't get data off...please help

2004-02-19 19:46:09
Subject: Re: Bad tape w/ data on it...can't get data off...please help
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:45:47 -0500
>I have a tape w/ data going back over a month...and w/ reclamations, it has
>come up for data move...
>TSM won't read the header of the tape and therefore won't acknowledge the
>tape exists other than the barcode.

You've deprived us of the context of the problem...something you need to pursue
in dealing with this.  A problem like this has historically occurred in a
shared library scenario, where the sharer has overwritten the tape, obliterating
the label and much of the data.  I urge you to track down the cause to prevent
recurrences and lost data: imagine if it happens with a primary pool tape before
a Backup Stgpool can be performed.  Use Query Volume timestamps, the volume
history, and activity log to try to narrow down when it happened, and from there
the events leading to the loss.  (It isn't April 1, so we can probably rule out
someone substituting a blank tape with that barcode on it.)

  Richard Sims, http://people.bu.edu/rbs