ADSM-L

Re: Using more than one utility to backup Informix

2004-02-18 04:45:58
Subject: Re: Using more than one utility to backup Informix
From: Willem Roos <wroos AT SHOPRITE.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:36:00 +0200
You have to make very certain that both level0|1|2's & logs are done by
the same, ie. either onbar or ontape.

ontape does backup logs together with the level0|1|2 (it says something
like 'this tape contains logs ### - ###'), but it does not mark the logs
as backed up so onbar won't miss out on them.

Make sure that
1) LTAPEDEV is not set to /dev/null, and
2) nobody runs ontape -c or -a
3) onbar -l is run either periodically or as the logs fill up (using the
ALARMPROGRAM thingie)

onbar is waaaaay much better than ontape, but we also do the odd ontape
level0, you never know...