ADSM-L

Re: TSM backups hangs

2004-02-17 07:45:04
Subject: Re: TSM backups hangs
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:44:39 -0500
>Hi Everyone!
>Two of my Windows 2k boxes is hanging sometimes. I don't really understand why.
>The only unique for this two Windows boxes is that it is behind a firewall.
>If I type "q ev begind=-1" then it's says In Progress.
>
>TSM Client version 5.1.6.6
>TSM Server version 5.1.7.1
>OS : Windows 2000 SP4
>
>Best Regard / Med vdnlig hdlsning
>Christian Svensson
>Tivoli Storage Manager Certified

Hello, Christian -

We're gonna need a bunch more information to assist on this...
What do you mean by "hanging"?  What is the evidence?
What is the context here?  Is this an Incremental backup operation?
Have these boxes been backing up okay up until recently, and then
the issue?  Or have you just started doing backups of these boxes
and have the problem?  (Have you followed the B/A manual info on
using TSM through a firewall?)
What do TSM server Query Session commands show during the operation?
Is there evidence that, for example, the client is simply waiting
for a tape?  (Might be a collocation value issue.)  Most reports of
"hanging" are really waits for something.

   Richard Sims,   http://people.bu.edu/rbs