ADSM-L

Re: Backing up Windows2000 data via TSM

2004-02-16 18:22:38
Subject: Re: Backing up Windows2000 data via TSM
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:35:18 -0500
>I have a request for backing up remotely a windows 2000 server via TSM.
>
>I would like to keep a backed up file for: 7 days (daily backup)
>                                         :31 days (weekly backups)
>                                         :365 days (monthly backups)
>                                         :7 years (yearly backups)

Whenever you get a user request like this, determine if such a scheme is
truly a business need, or whether it is just the way the user remembers
that 1970s backup systems worked.  Be careful of letting users dictate
technological choices: TSM offers far more capabilities, much more
flexibly.  Try to guide their choices based upon what modern technology
offers.

   Richard Sims   http://people.bu.edu/rbs