ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel

2004-02-13 14:44:36
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel
From: Forrest Payne <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:44:13 -0800
In order to restore Win2K or Windows 2003 you have to know about the "In-Place
Upgrade" process.  This is run when you boot from an Install CD and then pick
the Repair option that is after you press F8 to accept the license agreement.
This is very important because if you pick Repair before the license agreement
then you are running the recovery console which is not what you want.  Refer to
MS's KB article 292175 - How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000 for
more information on this process.

Note that it is very important that you use an Install CD that has been slip
streamed with the proper service pack.  In other words if the system you are
restoring had SP4. Then you need to have an Install with SP4 slip streamed into
it for best results.  Now, using the base Install CD from MS without slip
streaming will work but sometimes it doesn't and I have found that when it
doesn't work a slipstreamed CD will.

I have used this process with TSM to restore to different RAID adapters,
different vendors, MPS to ACPI and back.

We have even recently used this process to restore a single CPU server to a
Dual.  This has been something I couldn't get to work in the past and using the
slip stream CD seemed to be the trick.

I can state without a doubt that this will work with TSM.  I do have full
documented procedures on how to do all this on Win2K and Win2003. I also have
the old NT4.0 doc.  Unfortunately, because I am a consultant I can't give it
away.  However, I will list the KB articles that I used to come up with the
procedures.  Simply replace NTBackup with TSM and you should be able to get
this stuff done.

249694 - How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware  - This
is the old article that I used to come up with my documentation.  Note that it
doesn't really state anything about recovery but the steps are the same.

263532 - How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on
a computer with a different hardware configuration - This document is the
latest one out there.  As you can see it actually states "disaster recovery".

292175 - How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000 - Both of the above
2 articles refer to "In-Place Upgrade".  This is the step that I was talking to
you about which I use in my documents.  Note that it doesn't state this but I
believe best results are found when using a Win2K CD with a service pack
slipstreamed in it for the CD you use for the "In-Place Upgrade".

Henrik Hansson <henrik_hansson AT ALBINT DOT COM> wrote:
Hello TSM'ers

I know that a bare metal restore on a W2K system works fine as long as the
restore is doen to a similar system, hardware vice.

But do anyone know how to do the same to a system with different hardware?

I've tried it but haven't succeded. The system don't boot but give me a
system error.

1. Have anyone done such a restore to a diffrent hardware system?

2. Does anyone know if ITSM will support such in the future. I know that
veritas have a product that accomplish this.

Med Vdnlig Hdlsning/ Best Regards