ADSM-L

Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform

2004-02-13 04:05:19
Subject: Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform
From: John Naylor <john.naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:04:19 +0000
<miller.ryan AT principal DOT com> wrote
>>The idea of moving off of OS/390 is because we are taking too much CPU
and weekly IPLs.

Why weekly ipls? One of the big advantages of mainframe technology is that
ipls are (should be) infrequent
If your TSM is in a sharing lpar the TSM dispatching priority can be set so
that it does not impact on higher
profile work. I say higher profile because backups are generally not
regarded as important, until they are needed. If your processor/s cannot
truly cope with the workload, what about an upgrade, and maybe a separate
lpar for TSM, so that nobody can argue that it is taking too much cpu.
At the end of the the day a move to a new platform can be worthwhile, but
only as long as the full costs and
benefits are taken into account.

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.