ADSM-L

Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform

2004-02-12 18:04:24
Subject: Re: Migration of TSM server from OS390 or Z-OS to a UNIX or Windows platform
From: "Miller, Ryan" <Miller.Ryan AT PRINCIPAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:03:20 -0600
We are still at 5.1.6.1, next upgrade scheduled for 2Q04, so I guess I will
have it then.  I could use it to accomplish this migration, but I think it
would be lengthy process, considering I can probably move around 1 - 2 TB
daily.

The idea of moving off of OS/390 is because we are taking too much CPU and
weekly IPLs.  So we want to dismantle those virtual servers and not leave them
around.  So leaving them up just for restores is not workable.  Also it would
get very confusing for our 90 member helpdesk, hard to make them understand
when all they do is restores using a GUI.

Unfortunately, archives are the least of worries, we don't do many of those.
We strictly do daily incremental backups with retentions anywhere from a few
days to FOREVER, yes, some wise lawyers here thought it was necessary to keep
data forever against our recommendations.  The TDP stuff here is mainly
Exchange and with only 8 day retentions, we can just move those and start over,
but that is only a fraction of the data.

I imagine we will do this as I planned, a 2 - 3 year project where we will
create new TSM servers and put all new nodes there and migrate old ones as we
can, deleting some backups along the way when they are obsolete, it just means
we have to share the ATLs between the 2 different platforms for that time,
maybe not the most efficient, but workable.

Thanks!