ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel

2004-02-12 12:56:21
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel
From: Christian Bagard <christian.bagard AT WANADOO DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:48:18 +0100
Hello Henrik,

> I know that a bare metal restore on a W2K system works fine as long as the
> restore is doen to a similar system, hardware vice.
> But do anyone know how to do the same to a system with different hardware?
Yes and with TSM (the best !)
> I've tried it but haven't succeded. The system don't boot but give me a
> system error.
> 1. Have anyone done such a restore to a diffrent hardware system?
Yes.  It works since ADSM 3.1. Actually, it's independant.
> 2. Does anyone know if ITSM will support such in the future.
I don't know.
> I know that veritas have a product that accomplish this.
No doubt.

We are a very small company (4 persons) and we operate only in France, so this
message is not a worldwide commercial advertisement. Marie-Christine GAMET, the
"boss", uses ADSM/TSM for 12 years and she took part in the writing of the
redbook :  Windows NT Backup and Recovery with ADSM, SG24-2231-00 published
June-2-1998

Yes, we have a very accurate procedure for WIN2K and I have translated it in
english (sorry for the not very good translation and some french TSM
screenshots, I belong to these incorrigibles frenchies) and I have posted it
several times in private (in US, in India, in Austria, ..., among recipients
was a person from a BMR company, 11-21-2003).
This procedure was used and tested with customers.

Table of contents :
1       Summary   1
2     TSM client Version.. 2
3       Backups required for restoring.. 2
4       Restoring   2
4.1           Operation of Windows 2000  2
4.2           Operation details. 3
4.3           Configuring TSM node. 4
4.4           Restoring System Object  5
4.5           Restoring applications and datas. 5
4.6           Restoring Exchange. 6
4.7           Restoring Lotus-Notes  6

So if you want it, tell me. I will be pleased if it can help you.
And if somebody wants to improve the translation, I shall be pleased too.

Kind regards.

Christian Bagard
c.bagard AT sos-restore DOT com
SOS-Restore - 32 cours Mirabeau - 13100 Aix-en-Provence - France
www.sos-restore.com (only in french, sorry)

A last joke, our motto : "Backup is good, restore is better"