ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel

2004-02-12 10:04:03
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore Intel
From: Roger Nadler <roger_nadler AT SONYMUSIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:03:19 -0500
The problem with W2K (also WXP) is that the kernal is different for
different hardware configurations. The hard drive controller will cause a
problem if it is not recognized by the original image and will blue screen.
If the acpi is different there is no hope what so ever that the original
image will work. Same thing holds true for any different chipsets on the
motherboards. It's a Microsoft issue not a TSM issue. You would need to
rebuild the O/S, reinstall the programs and then use TSM to restore the
data files.
_______________________________________

Roger Nadler
Manager Plant Engineering/Network Technologies
Office (856) 582-3212
Fax     (856) 256-2901

Text Messaging:    rnadlercell AT sonymusic DOT com

Sony Disc Manufacturing
400 North Woodbury Road
Pitman, NJ 08071
_______________________________________

             henrik_hansson@AL
             BINT.COM
             [email protected].         ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu

             edu                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/12/2004 09:46          Bare Metal Restore Intel
             AM

             Please respond to
             [email protected].
                    edu

Hello TSM'ers

I know that a bare metal restore on a W2K system works fine as long as the
restore is doen to a similar system, hardware vice.

But do anyone know how to do the same to a system with different hardware?

I've tried it but haven't succeded. The system don't boot but give me a
system error.

1. Have anyone done such a restore to a diffrent hardware system?

2. Does anyone know if ITSM will support such in the future. I know that
veritas have a product that accomplish this.

Med Vänlig Hälsning/ Best Regards
Henrik Hansson