ADSM-L

Re: 3590 drives keep going offline

2004-02-11 00:04:20
Subject: Re: 3590 drives keep going offline
From: Bob Booth - UIUC <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:01:31 -0600
If the drives are all experiencing hardware problems, I had an instance like
this that was driving me nuts..

On unload, one failing drive was not putting the leader back into the tape all
the way, but leaving it hang a bit.  The tape was ejected enough for the robot
to go put it away.  The drive would eventually error out, and as the tapes
were called for in other drives, the bad tapes that had been put away, were
getting eaten by all the other drives!  As bad tapes propagated around, all
11 of my drives went offline in a few short hours.  Drove the CE out of his
mind, until he found the 'one' drive that was causing the problems.

If you are getting load errors on all your drives, check the library for tapes
with leaders hanging, then go for the first drive that broke.

my 2.567 cents.

bob