ADSM-L

Odd Requirement for ACCESS=READWRITE when doing Checkin LIBV

2004-02-10 18:12:41
Subject: Odd Requirement for ACCESS=READWRITE when doing Checkin LIBV
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:12:17 -0800
I am running TSM Server 5.1.8.0 on Win2K Server with an Overland Neo4100
LTO2 tape library.  I have a tape storage pool that is used for weekly
arhives by one system (direct to tape.)  Once an archive is done, I
update the volumes to "ACCESS=READONLY".  I then CHECKOUT the volumes to
hold offsite.  Today I needed to access one of these volumes, but when I
tried to CHECKIN LIBV libname volumename STATUS=PRIVATE, TSM said,
"ANR8306I 004: Insert LTO volume TSM048 R/W into the slot with element
number 448 of library LB1.1.0.5 within 60  minutes; issue 'REPLY' along
with the request ID when ready."  It did not appear willing to take the
volume until I UPDATEd the volume with ACCESS=READWRITE.

According to TSM for Window's Admin Guide, Chapter 8,  page 129,.
"Returning Partially Written Volumes to Automated Library Devices",
point 2. indicates that either READONLY or READWRITE are acceptable
Access states for the CHECKIN operation.

Did I make a mistake?  Is the manual wrong? Is the message wrong? Is the
TSM logic wrong? Or is TSM broken at this level?

--
Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing