ADSM-L

Moving client data to a new tape pool?

2004-02-09 18:13:27
Subject: Moving client data to a new tape pool?
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:15:53 -0600
I have some servers that we are end of lifeing.  But I don't want to trash
their data, and no further backups would be done.
It can 'age off' gracefully, that is OK.

I need brainstorming here:

1. could we re-associate the file space with another client? (optimal, I
think)

2. generate a new tape storage pool, and somehow (how?) move the data for
the specified clients to the new (pseudo-archival) pool
without having to do a new backup?

3. Other options?

Why?  I NEED to get the data out of my primary tape backup pool.  I REALLY
want to keep the primary tape pool fully in my library
(IBM 3583 with 60 slots and 6 LTO1 drives).

Win2K server with TSM 4.2.3.1 is my TSM platform

Thanks ... Jack