ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MS SQL and cached storage pools

2004-01-30 14:10:40
Subject: Re: TDP for MS SQL and cached storage pools
From: Tim Melly <tim.melly.b AT BAYER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:11:12 -0500
Thanks for the info Steve,

we had done some testing which had pointed me towards this conclusion, I just
had not read any documentation on this "feature" :)
and I'm still waiting for a call back from Tivoli.

I appreciate the input, it will save me much time digging around for an answer.

Regards, Tim
NAFTA IS Technical Operations
(203) 812-3469
tim.melly.b AT bayer DOT com

                      Steve Schaub
                      <Steve.Schaub@HAW        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ORTH.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TDP for MS SQL and
cached storage pools
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      01/30/2004 02:03
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Actually, based on my experience with TDP for Mail, I would guess that
Tim is right on.  We were forced to turn caching off on the diskpool
that we used for mail backups due to this "feature" in TSM-TDP (support
claims that this is not a bug and is working exactly as designed, they
just don't bother to let anyone know that caching is not an option with
TDP).

Apparantly TDP cant trust the calculation it does before sending,
therefor, it will not send if the %util in the diskpool meets the
requirement, rather than factoring in the %reclaimable.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer
Haworth, Inc
616-393-1457 (desk)
616-886-8821 (cell phone)
6168868821 AT messaging.nextel DOT com (text page)
WWJWMTD