ADSM-L

Re: Retain TDP and non-TDP Data

2004-01-27 09:38:14
Subject: Re: Retain TDP and non-TDP Data
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:37:44 -0500
Douglas,

How are you performing the "non-TDP" backup of the Domino databases?
Are you using the normal file-level Backup/Archive client?
Here are a few points to consider:

1.) In order to take a "non-TDP" backup of Domino server databases
    and guarantee a backup with full integrity, you will need to
    shut down your Domino server. You should really consider using
    Data Protection for Domino for your monthly backups.

2.) You can have different data retention policy by
    taking advantage of management classes with copygroups
    set to the desired values. Then you would utilize the
    INCLUDE statements in the DSM.OPT file to "bind"
    the backups to the specific management classes.
    For example, in the Data Protection for Domino DSM.OPT file:
         INCLUDE  mail\*.nsf* MC_30DAYS
    The User's Guide has more details in regards to this.

3.) If you decide to use Data Protection for Domino for your
    monthly backups, I recommend using different NODENAMEs
    for your monthly backups, otherwise the policy settings
    of your monthly backups will get reset since the object
    names are the same (just the the BA client backups.)

4.) If your SLA is based on days and not number of versions,
    you should consider setting policy based on the
    length of time insetad of the number of versions.
    That way, any adhoc backups that you need to make won't
    jeopardize your SLA limits.
    For example, for your daily backups, a management class like this:

      VEREXISTS    Unlimited
      VERDELETED   Unlimited
      RETEXTRA     30
      RETONLY      30

   For example, for your monthly backups, a management class like this:

      VEREXISTS    Unlimited
      VERDELETED   Unlimited
      RETEXTRA     180
      RETONLY      180

I hope this helps.

Del

> The current situation at our establishment is as such:
>
> Four Domino nodes, Notes1=>Notes4, are backed up with Tivoli Data
Protection.