ADSM-L

Re: tcp_address 192.168.x.y in q nodes f=d output

2004-01-23 11:25:31
Subject: Re: tcp_address 192.168.x.y in q nodes f=d output
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:25:10 -0500
I have 8 nodes in my TSM for which q nodes f=d shows a TCP/IP address of the
form 192.168.x.y. This is not the correct address for these nodes. When
these nodes do a backup, actlog shows the correct address.
Yes, this is not the biggest problem in the world. Nevertheless, I would be
interested in learnig what the reason is. Does anyone know?

Gerhard - From my notes:

192.168.x.x                             Designation of a range of IP networking
                                        addresses which are for private use in
                                        setting up your own private network, and
                                        which are not routable over the
                                        internet. Often used behind a firewall.
                                        Ref: RFC 1918

The users involved probably set up a Network Address Translation router/switch
to expand their single IPv4 address into a private subnet.  This can be
problematic for TSM work.  You may want to have a talk with them to see what
they are doing - they may no longer be viable candidates as TSM clients.

  Richard Sims, BU