ADSM-L

Re: RAW vs. JFS question

2004-01-22 19:41:30
Subject: Re: RAW vs. JFS question
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:43:57 -0600
several years ago (4?) I was working on TSM on Solaris, and working for a
VAR
we did some testing.  Putting TSM files (everything) on a raw JBOD was
significantly
faster than using a big raid array.

for customers, we did use (in the old days, online disk suite) and a white
paper
from Sun, to use 4 disks to make a set of 4 bootable disks (two mirrored,
two
set up some other way, I don't remember any more, and we used the other 20+
disks
in this solaris box for the database / journal / pool(s).  We did the
software
off of the boot drives, and everything else was handled by TSM.

We were setting up a duplicate system at a sister data center to do remote
database backup to when I was pulled off the project for other efforts.

Neat gig though!