ADSM-L

Re: disk and db volume sizes

2004-01-15 14:27:59
Subject: Re: disk and db volume sizes
From: "French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:27:30 -0600
        I talked to a guy at IBM several months back and his suggestions
were that you should analyze the number of concurrent sessions that you
have going at anyone one time and create an equal number of DB volumes.
I usual have about 20 concurrent backup sessions going during my various
backup windows so I am in the process of breaking my DB volumes into
smaller ones.  He told me that this was a thread issue with how TSM
talks to the DB volumes (hope I got that part right).  As for the log
volumes, I was told this is like a paging file, make one large one.

        If anyone at there has counter views, speak up now before I
start tearing apart my systems!

Michael French
Savvis Communications
IDS01 Santa Clara, CA