ADSM-L

Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot

2004-01-09 06:03:58
Subject: Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:54:55 -0000
What you are saying Sean makes perfect sense and I couldn't agree more but
the big issue anyone trying this faces at the moment is the time it will
take to do this operation. If you only have a very small system say < 1TB
with not too much in the way of small fies then it would be very feasable.
Unfortunately for us, we are talking about 70-80TB of data with 100million+
files... To do an export server would probably take months!

I think we are going to stick to our original plan of just exporting the
necessary production servers using the filedata=backupactive option. There
is one minor gotcha here though, that on our unix TSM clients this works
fine and gives realistic figures but on a lot of our Wintel tsm clients the
preview says there is a couple of hundred bytes that would be exported, when
I know full well there are GB's of active data. Has anyone else experienced
this issue?

Many thanks

Andy Wilcox
UNIX Systems Administrator