ADSM-L

Re: AIX startup of TSM scheduler

2004-01-07 05:54:30
Subject: Re: AIX startup of TSM scheduler
From: "Frost, Dave" <Dave.Frost AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:53:59 +0000
Hi,

In the past we too have seen problems with the scheduler daemon not
honouring a nohup under Solaris, HPUX, and AIX.  We have found that using
"at" on unix-type systems causes the least problems.

So, our (ksh) startup files tend to look something like this, and can be
called during init, or from the command line...

if ! pgrep -f "dsmc sched -se.*=$server" >/dev/null 2>&1
then
        print "/bin/dsmc sched -se=$server >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null" | at
now
        print "started dsmc sched through 'at'"
fi

(pgrep is Solaris specific.  Amend as required)

Regards,

-=Dave=-
Sungard Vaulting Services
+44 (0) 20 7608 7140

                      "Warren, Matthew
                      (Retail)"                   To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <Matthew.Warren@POWE        cc:
                      RGEN.CO.UK>                 Subject:  Re: AIX startup of
TSM scheduler
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                      07/01/2004 10:15
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello,

Under AIX I don't think I've ever had any trouble with;

#>nohup dsmc sched 2>&1 >/dev/null &
#>exit
#>bg
#>exit

But I would be interested if anyone can tell me why

#>nohup dsmc sched 2>&1 >/dev/null &
#>bg
#>exit

doesn't work...    why do you _have_ to say

#>exit
#>bg
#>exit

?