ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2000 Backup Failure

2003-12-22 07:56:48
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Backup Failure
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:56:29 -0500
>Had a rather strange failue on 3 of our W2K servers last night. I can't
>find out what the 11001 and -53 errors are.

Sure you can...

>20.12.2003 15:15:24 GetHostnameOrNumber(): gethostbyname(): errno = 11001.

Google on "gethostbyname(): errno = 11001".  That points out good reference site
http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm  where such high numbers are Windows Sockets
errors, this one indicating lack of DNS service.

>20.12.2003 15:15:24 sessOpen: Failure in communications open call. rc: -53

Session error messages with negative numbers are usually TSM API codes, as found
in the Messages manual.  The -53 is the TSM API DSM_RC_BAD_HOST_NAME, meaning
that an invalid TCP/IP host name or address was specified.

As pointed out by a prior responder, the situation indicates that your computer
is not getting DNS service in order to do lookups on TCP/IP network names to get
IP addresses.  This may be the result of loss of network connectivity,
specifying an incorrect DNS system, the DNS system not serving, or a no longer
valid network hostname.

  Richard Sims, BU