ADSM-L

Retention of brarchives

2003-12-22 02:27:01
Subject: Retention of brarchives
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:11:37 +1100
Team,

TDP for R/3 3.2.0.13 on AIX

I have a system which runs brarchive to archive redologs. I have a
requirement to keep some redologs which are to be 'brarchived' for an
extended period eg we normally retain logs for 31 days but for a period of
a few hours we're interested in achieving a year's retention. (The db
itself will be archived via a traditional filesystem archive).
I'm aware that retention is controlled by the BRARCHIVEMGTCLASS but need
reassurance that MAX_VERSIONS won't have any affect on my brarchived data -
can anyone provide confirmation that MAX_VERSIONS relates solely to the
retention of brbackup data (ie db backups). It's important that these
redologs won't get flushed away in 31 days (assume we run a brbackup every
night and max_versions is set to 31).

If there's any risk of losing these logs I take it by best strategy would
be to temporarily use a different BACKUPIDPREFIX to differentiate the
backups?

Thanks for any input

Eric Winters
Sydney Australia