ADSM-L

DB2 on Solaris 7

2003-12-17 16:36:28
Subject: DB2 on Solaris 7
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:44:25 -0600
An odd combination:
SAP DB2 databases on Solaris 7
Using the DB2 api, not the R/3 tdp
Solaris client 5.1.6.9
TSM Server 5.1.7.3  Win2K

3 different Solaris clients are scheduled to backup their SAP db's at the
same time direct to LTO tape.  Only 2 tape drives are available, so one
session should sit in media wait until one of the other 2 finishes.  The
problem is that one backup is always failing with this error message from
the db2 backup script:

SQL2025N  An I/O error "-50" occurred on media "TSM"

Also, in the dsmerror.log at the same time there is:
12/17/03   02:08:34 sessSendVerb: Error sending Verb, rc: -50
12/17/03   02:08:35 sessSendVerb: Error sending Verb, rc: -50

The schedules start at 02:00:00, so idletimeout and commtimeout are not an
issue because they are set much higher than 8 minutes.

At first, it was random on which of the 3 clients failed, now it is the
same one every night.  This same issue also happened on earlier 4.x
versions of TSM and I was hoping an upgrade would make it go away, but no
joy.  I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with Solaris or
DB2, but I'm not a Solaris person so looking for some advice.

John Monahan
Senior Consultant Enterprise Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109